Saturday, September 27, 2008

Life During Wartime: David Byrne at the Paramount

Thursday night I had the pleasure of seeing David Byrne for the second time in about five years. To me, he is one of the most influential and creative musicians of the past thirty years. I found about this show, pretty much by accident, and got tickets as soon as I could.

I had intended to take a lady friend, but that didn't happen, so I took my buddy $hane, beer buyer, and front man for PONG. He had never seen the Talking Heads or David Byrne, and is heavily influenced by Byrne (and Eno), so I knew he'd enjoy it more than most. 

This was the first time I 'd been to the Paramount since I saw the Nutcracker there in Elementary School in the Eighties. It still looked beautiful, and we had good seats, eight rows back. What ever the odds are, another co-worker, Tyler, had the seat next to us, which was bizarre and awesome.

The show featured several songs from his newest album, Everything That Happens will Happen Today, a collaboration with Brian Eno, and a good mix of Heads songs and older solo Byrne work. All in all the show was great. Very choreographed and artsy, which is what I expect from this guy. 

I took some videos with my camera. The sound is good, but the actual video is like a roller coaster of lights and ceiling. This is because I had to be discrete with the camera, and it was mainly hidden by my beard, no lie. I am currently trying to find a way to make the size of these videos smaller, and will post them when that happens.





1 comment:

TexasDeb said...

You bootlegged video from under your beard? Awesome. Byrne would probably love that.

Add to Technorati Favorites

Folks who Follow this Blog