Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Canning Conundrum

I hate making mistakes in the kitchen, nothing makes me more livid. If you mildly botch a dish, no one will notice, but you'll always know. In this case, I didn't make an error on a plate of food served to a guest, but rather had a plan that was flawed from the start. 

During my trip across the Pond, I fell in love with a lot of things of a culinary nature, but one condiment stuck out above all the rest. Chutney. I mostly ate chutney served with Stilton, or other cheeses, but really, it can go on anything. I saved apples from the freebox at work in order to make this delicious apple accompaniment, only to not have the right equipment to fully process the jars (I also may have cooked it down too much... it's darker than I would have wanted).

When I went to can, I could only get the water about a half an inch above the lids, rather than the suggested inch. All of the lids are depressed, which I guess means they're sealed, but I don't really have the confidence to give one of these to someone. I'm asking the blogosphere for some opinions here. I refrigerated the jars, rather than leave them at room temp, so they'll keep for a little while, but I just don't know. What do y'all think? You can leave comments here, or on Facebook or Myspace if you have any suggestions or thoughts. 

2 comments:

Laurie said...

If the lids are depressed, they should be okay...I think...


I read a suggestion here that if you want a light chutney, you add the sugar after the apples are cooked.


Your comment verifications have been pretty good lately. This one says "handsack."

Laurie said...

The apples caramelized! If you cooked it too long (and assuming the sugar was added early), the sugar probably caramelized - that's not such a bad thing.

word verification - basionch, as in "You silly basionch! You caramelized the apples!"

Add to Technorati Favorites

Folks who Follow this Blog